There are a handful of recipes that are my go to for a weeknight dinner when my 24 useable hours are running short. They need to be able to make everyone happy, easily adjusted with whatever is in season, and be on the table quickly. This couscous recipe checks all of these boxes.
I truthfully came up with this recipe by combining things that my family loves to eat. The joy of recipes like this is that you can add almost any combination of veggies and proteins and size up or down the portions. I typically make extra for lunches for the week and just add a bit more dressing when packing them up.
What you will need:
- Chicken Breast
- Pearl CousCous
- Bell Pepper
- English Cucumber
- Frozen Peas
- Frozen Corn
- Sliced Toasted Unsalted Almonds
- Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- Cook the couscous per the manufacturers directions.
- I added grilled chicken to this dish. Chicken can either be grilled while you are making the couscous or you can grill it ahead to save some time. I add a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Cut up one bell pepper and a english cucumber.
- Here is the trick to getting it on the table fast. When the couscous is done cooking and steaming hot put it into a large bowl and add the frozen corn and peas. The couscous defrosts the veggies and they in turn cool the couscous down.
- Add the bell pepper, cucumber and chicken. Mix them all together.
- The dressing: you want this to taste pretty strong in the jar but it will mellow once on the couscous. Mix 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, juice of one lemon, 2 tbls olive oil, 4 tbls red wine vinegar, 2 tbls dijon mustard. Shake well to combine.
- Mix the dressing in with the couscous.
- Add the feta and stir.
- Plate and top with sliced almonds.
An easy dinner accomplished so you can fill a few more of your 24 useable hours.