I broke my own rule and suffered for it.
As many did this weekend, we were invited to BBQ with some friends. I was excited to try a new recipe and my daughter was excited at the prospect of playing in a truly amazing playhouse. The playhouse was a huge hit. My dessert was decidedly not.
I choose something that looked amazing in the picture but was yet untested by me. I turned a deaf ear to my husband who said, “Make something you know”. I am going on record and saying I should have listened. I know better.
They were bad.
They were really bad.
So after the disaster of my dessert last night I sought redemption this morning. I found it in the form of crepes.
I love long weekends like this one. The kind where you can actually sit down and have a cup of coffee instead of grabbing it on the way to work. Where you can make a breakfast that has a few more steps than pouring cereal. My inspiration was two-fold. We have amazing organic strawberries and farm fresh eggs this weekend courtesy of my sister-in-laws thursday trip to the farmers market and atonement for the previous nights baking debacle.
I used a basic crepe recipes but there are lots of variations out there.
- 1 Cup Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Tablelspoons Melted Butter
- Whisk the eggs and milk together.
- Stir in the flour and salt until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Place a small amount of batter in a non-stick skillet and rotate the skillet, spreading the batter as thin as possible.
- Flip the crepe over and cook on the other side.
6. We used creme fraiche and strawberries in ours.
7. Fold and serve warm.
Crepes accomplished and the balance restored to my cooking. Thanks to all those who smiled their way through the bad dessert. I promise I will not make that mistake again.